The AEMO Integrated System Plan (ISP) effectively provides one cohesive plan for the National Energy Market (NEM), enabling coordinated infrastructure planning and development in a fast-moving industry.
The 2022 Draft ISP shows the fast pace of change in energy transition.
IEEFA uses AEMO’s draft ISP to understand trends in the NEM, complete analysis and develop policy recommendations related to the energy transition.
Overall, IEEFA’s comments on the draft ISP include:
- a request for greater granularity of generation results data,
- a request for further information on decarbonisation pillars,
- a call for policy to be put in place to manage fast coal exit (though not in AEMO’s remit)
- a request for the release of the coal power plant viability analysis results (if completed), and
- a suggestion to include a fast coal exit scenario (by mid 2030s) that does not rely on hydrogen (potentially more relevant for the 2024 ISP).