August 3, 2020 Read More →

PREPA director resigns amid problems with services, contracts, operation

Caribbean Business:

Just days after Gov. Wanda Vázquez publicly expressed her dissatisfaction with his handling of power outages last week, Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (Prepa) Executive Director José Ortiz handed in his resignation on Monday. 

Ortiz’s resignation, which will go in effect Wednesday, was accepted by the Prepa governing board, which had been at a meeting with Ortiz earlier in the day. 

Vázquez said that Ortiz’s resignation was in response to a petition by the Prepa governing board after a discussion of the Prepa chief’s work performance, particularly his handling of the public utility’s response to Tropical Storm Isaias. She said she had met with Prepa Governing Board Chairman Ralph Kreil on Sunday to express her “concern” over Ortiz’s work, including that of “all of the [Prepa] management,” during last week’s emergency.  

A report released in June by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) argued that the New Fortress contract process was plagued by irregularities that provided unfair advantage to the company, which had limited experience in Puerto Rico. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has begun a probe into why the company did not seek permits for a San Juan Harbor facility to bring in liquefied natural gas to the San Juan Power plant.  

[José Alvarado Vega]

More: Ortiz hands in resignation as Prepa head amid controversy over power outages, contracts

Posted in: IEEFA In the News

Comments are closed.