June 12, 2019 Read More →

Opponents win round in fight against Adani’s planned Carmichael mine

The Guardian:

The federal government will have to reassess water infrastructure for Adani’s Carmichael coalmine after conceding in a legal challenge that was lodged with the federal court.

The Australian Conservation Foundation has succeeded in its appeal against the government’s assessment of Adani’s north Galilee water scheme, with the federal government admitting it failed to properly consider public responses to the proposal and even lost some submissions.

The new environment minister, Sussan Ley, will now have to reconsider the proposal, which would see a 100 km-long pipeline constructed to transport 12.5bn litres of water a year from the Suttor river and Burdekin basin. The project would also expand an existing 2.2bn-litre dam to 10bn litres. The government will need to reopen the project for public comment.

While the decision is a win for the environment movement in its fight against the project, it will not prevent Adani from commencing preliminary construction at the mine site if it receives approval for its groundwater plans from the Queensland government on Thursday.

But the ACF said the government’s concession in the case is a demonstration it has not properly scrutinised Adani’s plans. “Once again this case outcome shows the federal government failed to properly scrutinise Adani’s proposed Galilee Basin coalmine,” the ACF’s chief executive, Kelly O’Shanassy, said.

The ACF lodged the appeal last year, challenging Price’s decision not to apply the water trigger in her assessment of the water scheme. Through the proceedings it became evident that the process leading to the minister’s approval hadn’t properly considered the more than 2,200 public submissions that had been made, with some even being lost.

More: Adani coalmine: minister loses legal challenge on water pipeline assessment

 

Comments are closed.