Skip to main content

Two Ohio Coal Plants Slated for Retirement

January 31, 2017

Dan Testa for SNL:

Dayton Power and Light Co. will retire two coal plants and develop wind and solar projects under a proposal submitted to Ohio regulators Jan. 30.

Under the agreement with key intervenors, AES Corp. subsidiary DP&L will retire the coal-fired 2,308-MW J.M. Stuart and the 600-MW Killen Station plants in June 2018, according to a Jan. 30 news release by the Sierra Club. DP&L owns 67% of Killen and Dynegy Inc. owns the remaining 33%, according to SNL Energy data. DP&L owns 35% of the Stuart plant, according to SNL Energy data, with Dynegy owning a 39% share and American Electric Power Co. Inc. subsidiary AEP Generation Resources owning the remaining 26%.

DP&L also committed to developing at least 300 MW of solar and wind generation in Ohio by 2022, according to the news release, as well as $35 million in smart grid investments, $565,000 per year in assistance for low-income customers and $2 million in job training assistance for communities impacted by the closure of the Stuart and Killen plants.

Full article ($): DP&L agrees to retire Killen, Stuart coal plants in 2018

Join our newsletter

Keep up to date with all the latest from IEEFA